Wednesday, August 19, 2015

EASTERN CAPE: 22 circumcision deaths, custom questioned

SABC
July 10, 2015

Traditional circumcision questioned in the E Cape

The relevance of the tradition of circumcision is being questioned in the Eastern Cape. This as about 22 young boys have died since the start of winter in the Eastern Cape.

The Maphetshana family is grieving their 17 year old son was left for dead at an initiation school. His mother, Nomihlayethu Maphetshana, was denied access to him even after he was brought home.

Nomihlayethu says: "We are not allowed to see our children because we are women. My son was burnt with plastics, stabbed at his arms , beaten up all over the body and these people claim they did not see all that torture. My son was brought here and they denied me access in my own house and now I have lost my child."

An emotional Deputy Minister of Traditional Affairs Obed Bapela visited the bereaved families.

"I am a supporter of culture myself but if culture is going to kill our children I will say no it cannot be. I really send my condolences to the family and to all other families that have lost their children , here in the Eastern Cape and elsewhere." Bapela says.

Child rights organisations have also called for the arrest of those who abduct young boys and circumcise them.

At least 145 others are in hospital some in a critical condition from botched circumcisions.

Earlier story

No comments:

Post a Comment